Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Self Reflection and Shoes

Every now and again it is good to take a step back and think. I wish I had more time for that. To just let my mind wander and focus on a topic for longer than a commercial break.

As I have tried to make time to sit and think, one of the things that keeps coming back is that no two families, no two journeys, no two situations are identical. While there may be similar situations, basic principles and values that people share, but when it comes down to making decisions and living life, the only thing that matters is what is best for me and my family right now.  What appears to be the right answer for me may not be the right answer for someone else.

I am a black and white person, so coming to this conclusion hasn't been easy.

I have been guilty of getting caught up in the decisions that other people make because they seem to be contrary to what I would do. Because I am right:-) But in reality, maybe I would make the same decision under the same circumstances. Walking in others shoes is hard to do.

Have you ever worn shoes that didn't belong to you? They feel weird! Even if you wear the same size as the other person- it is different. Their shoes are worn in different patterns. Their shoes are broken in to their feet. The shoe has stretched in just the right places for them. The impressions in the sole match only one owner.

Walking in shoes that don't belong to you is meant to be uncomfortable. You would be uncomfortable in my shoes. Sometimes I am not comfortable in my shoes - not every one can wear stilettos all day! You wear the shoes you are given and in time they become comfortable to you and no one else. It may take a while, and you may get blisters and have aching feet - but they are yours.

Sometimes shoes you have worn and thought you had broken in can cause you problems. I got a blister from a pair of shoes I have had for a year! I guess those stilettos weren't made for walking around all day:-) Variables outside of the shoe can make the experience of wearing them different. In my case it was extreme heat.

These are the shoes I was given/or bought (whatever). This is the way I choose to live my life. I choose to make my own mistakes. I choose to live with the consequences. It is about time I let others make theirs and wish them well as they break in their new shoes. They are gorgeous shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.