Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Irony

Last night my son ran into a door that was being closed and cut his skin above the cheek bone right where the soft tissue of the under eye is. It bleed and bleed. When we were able to take a closer look at it, I thought he might need stitches, or maybe just one. We tried to clean it up and apply a butterfly bandage but had to modify it to fit the amount of skin we had. It bleed. I thought, when DrH gets home he can look at it. I sent him a text with pic. And by "we" I mean me and my MIL who was a nurse.

DrH didn't get home until 9:30 pm last night. The kid was already in bed. He went in with a flashlight to look at it. But you can't see the cut because it is under the bandage. Diagnosis: he is OK. DrH says he has some derma-bond in the closet and that he will fix it. Well he can only fix it if he is home. I probably should have woken the little guy up so he could do it just then, because now he is back at work and I had to clean the wound up again and put on another bandage.

Isn't it ironic? I am married to one of the most qualified people to deal with cuts that require a stitch, or something more, and he isn't home to do it. Sure I could have taken him in, but with DrH in the OR I would have had to pay the co-pay for the ER and it is Christmas after all. I don't have money to spend on things that could be done at home.

It doesn't look too bad, and if it scars it will be in a crease that will only get deeper as he gets older and more distinguished. He is 7 so that might take a while. And talk about double standards, if it were my daughter who had a cut on her face, I wouldn't be waiting around for the DrH to get home. But he is boy, a scar or two will be good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.