Sunday, July 10, 2011

Strangely Suited

After my post yesterday I realized that my personality is strangely suited for the life of a residents wife.

I've had a lot of time to think about myself. Not in the selfish sense, but I've had a lot of opportunities for self-reflection and discovery of who I am over the years. If I know one thing it is that I am a rock. I am the solid foundation in my families life. A source of consistency and regularity. The glue that keeps our family running on schedule and on time, bills paid and food on the table. I am no-nonsense, practical, and efficient.

I like being in charge and running the show, which is a good thing because those responsibilities would fall to me whether I like it or not. I enjoy silence, stillness, and peace. The family is at church, the baby is asleep, and I have complete silence. It is wonderful. More specifically though, I am thinking about all the nights I've had when the doctor has been working and the kids have been in bed, and I am alone. Sure it would be nice to be with the husband too, but a nice quiet evening to myself is often better. It doesn't matter what I am doing, if it is quiet and there is no one around to interrupt me I am in heaven. Silence is my drug of choice, and I'm addicted. It is in rare supply and doesn't come around as often as I would like with four kids - but when I am lucky enough to get it, I remember why I like it so much.

My husband also has made the connection between my need for less stimulation and is quick to provide relief when he can. A happy mom and wife makes a happy family. Occasionally, that means we forfeit our limited time together, but I need it.

While I might complain about the life of a residents wife (and family), I realize that this lifestyle is perfectly suited for me. It makes the best use of my strengths while giving me time to work on those weaknesses that only I can see. My husband thinks I am perfect. It's a good thing he doesn't work from home, that illusion might be dispelled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.