Friday, July 1, 2011

Hail To The Chief!

Let me begin by saying that today is the day I have been waiting for! The last 5 years have been leading up to this moment, and I couldn't be happier that it is here. From Intern, to Resident, and finally Chief!

What is so great about being the Chief Resident? Let me tell you why "the Chief's" wife thinks it is so awesome: The chief is responsible for making the call schedule. Ergo, the chief's wife gets to have some input. This month it means no call for our daughters birthday, the 4th of July weekend, no call on my birthday, no call on his birthday. Finally, our family schedule is consulted before his work schedule! After five years of being at the whim of another residents scheduling preferences, it is our turn.

Of course being Chief also comes with it's own headaches. Like being responsible for junior residents and medical students, and being the "man" who is on the receiving end of the attendings fury. I'm OK with that. A small price to pay.

So today I am going to bask in the glow that is our final year of residency and I'll try not to think about the upcoming fellowship. 365 days and residency will be a thing of the past. I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.