Monday, December 24, 2012

The Gift of Perspective

This weekend my husband was on call at the hospital. It isn't just any hospital, it is where the sickest of the sick go. It is where people go expecting miracles. And sometimes miracles do happen. Other times you just have to pray anyway.

This weekend a toddler came in with a recurring brain tumor...

They are going to attempt removing it again today, but her prognosis isn't good. She likely won't live to see next Christmas.

I was asking about the case, and my husband couldn't even talk about it. We have a daughter almost the same age. That's the problem with pediatric cases, as a parent we always have a child about the same age and one of the reasons he isn't pursuing a pediatric speciality. I can't imagine going through this the day before Christmas and knowing that this may be their last Christmas together.

Other parents are dealing with children already taken too soon. Presents purchased that will never be opened. Plans and futures forever altered.

Sometimes gifts are unexpected, but they are no less valuable. This year I've received the gift of perspective. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without my children and my family. My healthy children. What is under the tree doesn't hold a candle to the joy my children give me.

My heart breaks for the parents who are without their children, and I pray that they find lasting peace and strength.

Love is an amazing thing. And Christmas is the ultimate celebration of love.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son". John 3:16

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Perspective is a beautiful thing and a wonderful gift. My heart aches for those without their children and also leaps for joy for the gift of my healthy boys.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.