Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Can I Live the Life of a Doctors Wife?

I needed a good laugh! When I do I can always find something amusing if I look at the searches that bring people to my blog. I am always amazed that anyone finds me at all, but they do through the strangest ways.

This one, may be my all time favorite: Can I Live the Life of a Doctors Wife?

Why yes you can, and let me tell you how!

First, you must really love him, because no amount of future earning potentials will be enough to compensate for medical school, residency, FELLOWSHIP, and starting/joining a practice. If you don't love him fiercely now, you certainly aren't going to love him when this process takes off.

Second, you must have little to no aversion to large amounts of debt. We are talking six figures. Not the six figures you tell your friends you are making when your salary is $100,001 - think mid six figures in the $250,000 to $500,000 range.

Third, you must possess a large measure of humility. There is no room for pride being a doctors wife. You will have to do things you never thought you would do. I am thinking of the possibilities including but not limited to signing up for food stamps, medicaid, borrowing money from family, selling plasma, taking any and every menial income opportunity that comes your way, etc. You will do just about anything to make or save a dollar.

Fourth, you must be independent. Strange concept considering you want to marry a doctor and by definition marriage is a partnership. Being married to a doctor is a different kind of marriage relationship. Get used to being alone morning, noon and night for long periods of time. And when he is home, he isn't really home he is sleeping/studying. But then there will be those golden nuggets of time when he is actually free from anything medical related.... get ready to do something, because those moments don't happen every day!

And lastly, you must have a good sense of humor. That may be the most important characteristic of all. If you can laugh at yourself, laugh at your situation, and laugh together you will be alright.

Now, if the question was "can you live the life of a doctors wife without actually being married to a doctor", the short answer is NO. You haven't lived it unless you have paid the price! And being a doctors wife isn't anything like you think it is. 

Actually, I take that back. The closest thing that would resemble the life of a doctors wife is a single mom with no support from family or baby's daddy.

Maybe this will be a recurring blog special.... there are some others that have been pretty good, too!

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower. My husband began residency this year so we still have a way to go ( 4yrs). Hoping he doesn't decide to do a fellowship :) I think we all (med wife's) need a boost that , Yes we can do it !. I like that you state we must love our DRH's fiercely . I agree. This road is tougher than those outside looking in and even imagine. I look forward to exploring your blog and visiting for future posts. I hope you will also check out my blog too.

    Shalasha

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.