Thursday, May 31, 2012

One More Thing I Didn't Know I Needed

Or perhaps more rightly: one more thing I know I don't need.

I am talking about Pinterest.

First there was my family blog. Then came Facebook. Followed by groups on Facebook. Netflix and Words With Friends, naturally. Pinterest may be the most compelling waste of time yet. OK, there is value there - but I know I am going to get sucked in.

I am flirting with the idea of joining Pinterest. I have visited the site and looked around. I even snagged a couple of great ideas for my daughters birthday party that were a huge success.

I hear people talking about it. They have me convinced Pinterest is the next hot thing to consume all my time, and have me spending money in my dreams and searching the interenet just so I can pin something.

Do I go there? Do I dare?

What would I have to give up to be part of that group? I suppose I could skip bath time for the kids. But that only happens 2 or 3 times a week these days. Maybe I could skip... I can't think of anything else.

My downtime is no longer relaxing, it is filled with stuff. Some of it good, some of it not so much.

Goodness what did I do with all that time that I wasn't spending some 5 years ago before all these distractions?

I am going to cast the blame squarely on residency. It has to be the culprit. If my husband were home more often I would be doing something productive, because I can't stand to look like I am doing nothing. I save that for when no one is looking. Being married to a resident means no one is looking most of the time.

I might be cooking a delicious dinner. I don't cook much because my kids don't like to eat what I like to cook. And I don't call making kid friendly food cooking. Oh, and cooking requires getting to the grocery store. I seem to do that as little as possible.

I might be cleaning. But cleaning when you have a  house full of kids is the definition of redundancy. I can only walk around picking up things for so long. My strategy has long been to pick it up once when they go to bed. I really should train my kids to take care of it. Bad mom. I have pulled out the trash bags a few times - that is my favorite, because I know that particular mess will never return. (I don't throw them away, I donate).

I might be creating something lovely. (I need Pinterest!) That would require that I go somewhere to get materials to make something. That means my kids would have to come, and I leave the house as little as possible when they are all together. Creating also means making a mess before the beauty comes to life. I can't handle another mess.

I might ponder, meditate, read something uplifting. But that would require total silence. I have forgotten what that is exactly. I could make a great nun. What is that period they go through when they don't speak a word. Sign me up!

Residency has driven me to some extremes. I have a feeling I will be spending the Fellowship year on Pinterest. I have already talked myself into it. So much for willpower, I am going to request my invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.