Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Best Gift I Ever Gave Myself

I would love to have a make-over. The kind where a team of professionals sweep in and make you into some fierce beautiful creature. That's what I thought I wanted, but how many of those people really can  maintain that or feel comfortable over time with that particular look that someone who doesn't even know them created and told them would be best?

I met a woman at church who always looked amazing and overheard her one day talking with another woman about this program that was a DIY make-over system (of sorts). That really got my attention. The premise of the program is that you become your own expert. Who knows you better than you do. The first part is finding out who you are, the nuts and bolts. The second part is learning to dress yourself so that your outer appearance is an expression of who you are.

This really got me interested. For years I had struggled with having clothes in my closet but not feeling like I had anything to wear. I had been using the excuse that to look good I needed to have money (false), and that I also needed a big wardrobe (false). I would see something that I liked at the store, or on someone else, and be frustrated that it didn't look as good on me. I would look at my closet and see several different "styles" going on that were competing and not complementing. I would see things that I bought but never wore and feel guilty about spending that money, regardless of how small, on something that wasn't getting used.

The program is called Discovering Your Beauty Profile and Dressing Your Truth. The first part was reading the book and taking an online quiz to help me identify which of 4 personality/behavior/energy types I was. Once I understood, what I already knew in my heart, I was able to move onto to how to dress my body - the fun stuff.

It has honestly been the best investment I have ever made in myself. I have taken my existing wardrobe and narrowed it down to just the things that work for me. No more junk in the closet taking up space. When I look at my closet I can see continuity of style. I don't have nearly as much as I used to have, but I don't miss it because what I have I actually wear and want to wear!

The program does have a cost associated with it, but in my case it has already paid for itself (and it is on sale this week). All those clothes I took out of my closet that were wrong for me, went to a consignment store. I literally sold, or gave away, everything that wasn't honoring who I was. Do I miss it? Not at all. Like I said, I may have less but what I have I love. Now everything I own goes with everything else. I found this to be particularly helpful when packing for my funeral trip a few months ago. I didn't need to bring a lot for those 7 days. When everything works.... you don't need as much. It has also made shopping a breeze. I know what colors, textures, fabrication, etc work for me and can skim a rack of clothes in seconds... no more checking each item to see what I think of it.

The best part is that you don't have to have a lot of money to dress well. It works for any budget. It works for anyone. Check out some of the before and afters submitted by women like you and me who did this all on their own! It really is amazing.

In previous posts I've commented on my desire to look the part of a doctors wife. What I was really trying to accomplish was looking my part, and looking my best. You don't have to be a doctor's wife to do that. I think all women want to look good.

If you are interested in learning more I suggest you check out this link! You can also watch some of the videos on YouTube. It really is an amazing system. So far everyone I've told about it has been equally as excited. Not only has it helped me feel better about myself, it has helped me to understand the other women in my life.

1 comment:

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.