Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thankful for Technology

Every now and again I remind myself that things in the world of medicine/family were worse before we entered it, and I'm not just talking about the work hour restrictions. Before cel phones, text messaging, and instant messaging how did families keep in contact with their spouses at the hospital?

My phone is my life line to my husband. If it weren't for our mobile phones there would be days when we didn't get to talk to one another. Thankfully, because of this amazing technology it doesn't matter where I am, he can call for 45 seconds, or send me a text, letting me know what is going on in his day and even when he might be expected home. Or I can snap a picture of the kids and send it to him on his phone for the next time he has a moment to look at it. We are connected in a way that wasn't possible before. We are able to share information about our day as it happens instead of trying to recap at the end of a long day or long week.

I don't know how spouses survived the long hours and the unavailability. That must have been a whole different kind of hard that I hope to never know. So today I am thankful that this little device allows our family to stay connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.