Monday, June 25, 2012

THE Graduation

Oh My Goodness.... WE DID IT!

My parents watched our kids and I flew out for a quick weekend trip. Nothing like a Friday morning flight, Friday evening event and turn around flight on Monday morning.

We had a few hours before the dinner so DrH asked if I wanted to see surgery. I hear about it all the time. I have a general idea of what he does, but I have never seen him in action. It is hot:-)

They were nice enough to call my presence in the OR job shadowing. I suited up in scrubs and all. Watched my husband chip away at a brain tumor and finally got to see what it is my husband does all day. Really ALL day.

Then it was graduation time. It was very nice. And the most important part was he graduated (again)! Certificate in hand, means we are ready to work. Or in our case start a fellowship.

These dinners are always somewhat of a let down for me. Don't get me wrong I like that they have them. I just wish they focused more on the residents. Instead it feels like they pat themselves on the back for producing such fine surgeons. I am grateful.

And there is always something or someone at the dinners that provides some amusement:-)

Perhaps the best part of this weekend, was that is was an ALONE trip. No kids. We also had a hotel room. The house my husband is staying in while he finishes up (did I mention he is done) has a no over night guest policy. I didn't mind at all. In fact I prefer staying in hotels.

Earlier that day he ordered flowers and had them sent to the room with a note that said "I couldn't have done it without you" and a basket of my favorite munchies. We really have been through a lot, and that note made it all worth it :-)

We rushed through the rest of the weekend visiting friends for the last time and saying our final goodbyes. It was bitter sweet, but mostly sweet. Before I knew it I was back home again. Missing him again, and counting the days until it will finally be over... for good this time.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Such an exciting time and how cool that you were able to see your husband in surgery. Woohoo for kid-free weekends too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.