Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Day In The Life

Last year in August I detailed a week of my husbands work schedule. To provide some perspective on the changes from week to week, month to month, and year to year I've decided to take a snap shot once again of what the doctors work week looks like.

No two weeks are the same, no two months are the same, no two years are the same. Here is proof.

Sunday - OFF!
Monday 5:45 am - 7:10 pm (OR day) 14 hours
Tuesday 5:45 am - 3:15 pm (light OR day) 9.5 hours
Wednesday 5:45 am - 8:15 pm (clinic day/journal club) 14.5 hours
Thursday 5:45 am - 6:15 pm (OR day) 13.5 hours
Friday 5:45 am - 5:45 pm (OR day - 1 really long case) 12 hours.
Saturday - OFF!

Total hours worked for the week = 63.5. Overall, not that bad of a week. He didn't work Sunday or Saturday, and he wasn't on call at all this week.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. This week was awesome.

I was sweating bullets on Friday because he had purchased tickets to take our son to a MLB game that started at 7:00 pm. They were doing a huge case that had neurosurgery, head/neck, and plastics involved. He thought he would be cutting it close and that I might have to bring our son to the hospital so they could leave from there.

Everyone in the OR did what they did and there were no complications. Dad was home in time, and little boy had the best night of his life. Baseball with dad, ice cream in a plastic helmet and cotton candy.

It was a good week.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I seriously get SO excited when they have an entire weekend off! Makes the rest of the week bearable :) Glad your husband was able to make the baseball game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh my husband has ALL weekends off this month! He's on a neuro outpatient rotation. It's awesome :) He even had a 4 day weekend this past weekend because of the holiday on Monday & Friday was his last "off" day of last month's rotation. Months like this are so great. I work too, so when he doesn't have any weekend days off, we never get to have days off together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love those rotations, and a four day holiday weekend - you hit a gold mine:-)

      Delete
  3. I dream of weeks like that! 3:15?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never experienced such a thing!!!! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doesn't happen often, and I should have added that he didn't actually get home right after work, he needed to take care of some other "business" that kept him out until after dinner. It was a really nice week all in all. But I know a rotten one is just around the corner, they can't all be like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love playing "schedule" roulette with Resident Husby's schedule :)
    It sounds like you do a good job of appreciating the "extra" time and dealing with the bad as it comes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.