Friday, September 21, 2012

Dropping Out

I have had it. I am done. I am not going to do this anymore!

The critical point has finally been reached and it only took 3 weeks for me to see the absolute stupidity in this daily task. This may be the beginning of a roll.

Have I mentioned how much I deplore having to pick my children up from school? Did I mention that I spend at least an hour a day picking up and dropping off? Maybe I let it slip somewhere that I get what could be considered "waiting in long line parked car road rage" when I see people breaking the rules? How about the crossing guards who hold up traffic so a kid that is still 20 feet from the cross walk can cross - 10 cars could have gotten in during that time. Why don't we let the cars use the road, and then when the kids get to the cross walk stop traffic? Makes sense to me. My blood is starting to boil just thinking about it. I sit in line and see a dozen things that could be done better, and I can't stand it anymore - I am about to explode!

Well no more, or at least no more in the afternoon, for me!

It is ridiculous that I should sit in a parked car for upwards of 45 minutes just so my children don't have to wait too long after school to be picked up. Time is money. Or in my case time is time! What could I do with that wasted time? Plenty! I could even choose to waste it on something else. Anything but sitting and getting angry.

So today I drew a line in the sand and said:  I will no longer play your stupid waiting game. I will not get in line 30 minutes before school gets out. And wait behind 30 other cars who arrived even earlier than I did. In fact, I won't even be in the line when the school gets out. No. I am going to sit in my house - no more parked cars for me.

The idea came to me yesterday, after another long wait. As I was leaving the parking lot I noticed the time was 10 minutes after school had let out and there was still a long line of cars trying to get into the line to pick up kids. The school keeps the kids outside and ready to pick up until 30 minutes after school lets out. After which they take them back into the school and you have to sign them out in person. So really I have 30 minutes before I look like a negligent parent. Light bulb moment!

Arriving twenty minutes after school releases the students proved to be just right. I pulled into the parking lot and opened my doors, no wait. The kids got in and we left. Yes they mentioned my tardiness, but I told them this was going to be the new normal and advised them to remember to pack a book. Let's see 10 minutes or 50 minutes roundtrip, which would you choose?

Yes, it means my kids will have to "wait" for me, but I am sure they will come to appreciate a more relaxed mother when they get home. I know I am already.

Now if I could just get them up and at school 20 minutes before school starts I wouldn't have to deal with the craziness in the morning either. That will be my next project.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it the best? I did that for all five years of residency for school pick ups, now my oldest takes the bus and university housing is right next to the elementary school. My kids were always one of the first kids to arrive at school-my oldest hates being late- and one of the last to be picked up. Very smooth, no waiting, no wasting gas, no excessively polluting the air, no frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we are the sane ones:-) I can't believe how early some people get there just so they can be first! Today my kids were earlier than usual, and it was great. Sure I would love to have more time with them, but I can't spend all day in the car.

      Delete
  2. Ummmm..... do you want to hear about the two years my drop offs and pick up took two hours.... each? That's 4 hours EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY!

    So glad that's over! I think I lost most my hair those two years. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!!!!! That is a part-time job. I did get some reading done during my wait, but seriously I can read at home.

      Delete
  3. We're lucky enough to live close enough to school that we can walk unless the weather's bad. Two years ago when Little Man was a baby I killed the battery on our hybrid by driving the three blocks to school, idling for 30 minutes and then driving back home. Luckily it was still under warranty - those batteries are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought a dozen times about what I would do if my car died while in line. I would probably be assaulted by the driver's behind me for holding the line up before it crossed their mind to help the poor lady out. I am surprised it hasn't happened to somebody yet. Living close is nice... I would at least get some exercise that way.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the good laugh. I can see you, me and any resident mother having this "moment". I cannot imagine waiting more than five minutes for my children. I nannied for 3 kids back in the day. I was in charge of at least one if not two pick/ups from two different schools. The parents paid me $12/hour to arrive "early" (like if their kid couldn't see me from 100 yds away I was too "late"). It took everything I had not to pull my hair out and that's when I had NO life and was being paid to sit in my own car. Luckily for me my daughter is only in preschool. Right now finding a parking spot sucks bc parking lot is under construction. I refuse to stand in line 10 minutes early in the hallway to hear other mothers/parents "chit chat" while we wait on our kids. I think I'm already "that mom" you speak of (I give up mom) and my kid is only in school 2.5 hours/day 3 days a week. I will be sure to figure out the pick/up drop off routine when she enters school full time. Anything that requires more than 10 mins wait will be crossed off my list. I don't care how prestigious the school is!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.