Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012

For fear of repeating myself too often let me summarize my post with the following keywords: drunks, sleepless nights and naked party. I have your attention now don't I?

It's was New Years Eve last night and DrH was on call. It started out fairly slow and we had dinner together as a family and then he left to do rounds and admit a patient or two. DrH was back home at 9:30 pm and we were in bed by 10:30. I remember hearing the pager, but that is all. When I woke up at 3:00 am he wasn't in bed and I checked my phone and found a message saying he would just be staying at the hospital all night. It was that bad.

Apparently on his way to the ER at around midnight he saw people stumbling out of parties knowing that he would be greeted with a room full of drunks. Some who had fallen down, some who had been in car accidents, some who were in bar fights, you get the general idea.

I don't drink. And it's not like I need any additional reasons to avoid the beverage. I hate knowing that the reason I don't get to spend New Years Eve with my husband, even if we would have gone to bed early like the old people we are, is because some people aren't responsible. I think it shows a great amount of disrespect to get drunk. First, disrespecting yourself, those you are with, and those who will need to provide care for you when you do something stupid. I would never do that to another person. But that's just me. I have a hard time believing that getting drunk is so great to be worth all the headaches. If you are going to drink, please just be responsible and leave me and my family out of it.

So the DrH didn't get any sleep last night. It is 2:20 pm and he is snoring in bed next to me. Before the snoring starting there was a little naked party. I know this is why you continued to read. So when DrH came home at 1:00 pm we had lunch and then got ready to take a "nap". It is Sunday afternoon and the kids and I had already been to church, this is what we do on Sunday. By the way our church starts at 9:00 am now. I am not a fan. I have been up since 6:45 am getting myself and 4 kids ready so we could get there on time. I am tired too.

Oh, the naked party. Well, that is what my son calls it. Yep, my child is going to be scarred for life. I asked my DrH if the door was locked, he assured me it was even after I asked "are you sure". He still swears it was, but I believe I am correct in saying that if it were locked our nearly 7 year old son would not have been able to open the door. I was hoping that he only saw his naked father getting ready to lay down for a nap by himself. I would be wrong. Apparently, he saw me too. Great! Little boys have a way of remembering things like that (as do grown men)!

A short while later I walked in on my three children having their own naked party, apparently inspired by what my son saw. He and his two sisters were running around in their underwear, thankfully not naked. When Ethan told me they were having a naked party I tried to play dumb and ask what he was talking about when he told me what he saw. That immediately got the attention of my 3 year-old who went running upstairs to see if DrH was still naked. I know it happens to everyone... or so they say. I have never walked in on my parents. My husband has never walked in on his parents. And our son has now walked in on us twice!

I hope you all had a happy and safe New Years. 2012 is going to be exciting!

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud! I don't know how you kept a straight face when asking Ethan about what he meant/what he saw!!

    Happy new year to you, your little ones, and of course your husband!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, don't be shy. If you are visiting this blog for the first time leave me a note to introduce yourself.